Woodwind Ensemble Coach
Youth Music Monterey County is looking for an exceptional woodwind (flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon) player and music educator to take over stewardship and coachings for the Woodwind Chamber Music program that is offered each semester to student musicians in the YMMC youth orchestras. Past repertoire has included Nielsen Wind Quintet, Ligeti Bagatelles, and other wind quintet, quartet, trio and duo chamber music by Francaix, Bozza, Mozart, Villa-Lobos, Jolivet and more. Students ages range from 12-18, and level of playing is generally intermediate to advanced. The woodwind program's core mission is to bolster and complement the musicianship and leadership skills involved in developing a strong orchestral woodwind section.
Typically between 2-5 groups are formed according to level and interest at the beginning of each academic year, and in the beginning of the summer. Rehearsals can be organized to be approximately one day of rehearsals per week from September - May, with an additional summer session that runs June - August. Performance venues include a joint woodwind and brass chamber concert each season, a number of outreach locations in Monterey County, and inclusion of a selected group in the orchestra concerts at Sunset Center in Carmel-By-The-Sea. Cost of sheet music scores and parts are covered by the program.
- a passion and contagious enthusiasm for classical woodwind chamber music
- music conservatory training
- a love for working with youth musicians
- performance and chamber music coaching experience
- ease and skill with scheduling and logistics of coordinating student groups, rehearsals and performance locations
- excellent written and verbal communication
- interest in initiating outreach performances in the community
- Car and personal insurance coverage required; occasional travel between north and south Monterey County is necessary.
Interested candidates should send a brief cover letter describing teaching approach and philosophy, fitness for the position, and a CV/resume. Selected candidates will be scheduled for an in-person interview in Monterey during the month of August.
No Phone calls please. Background check and fingerprinting required. E-mail cover letter, and resume, please send as one attachment (pdf preferred) to: email@example.com References may be requested for shortlisted candidates.